OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I gave birth to a girl about five years ago...I had to have…

Customer Question
I gave birth to a...
I gave birth to a girl about five years ago...I had to have a C section. Then something bad happened. I started bleeding and never stop. I woke up two days later in ICU. It is hard for my parents to talk about what happened. I do know they opened me up again and did some cleaning...I asked my doctor about the chances of this happening again and they said have another child but it is really that simple...and my other question is about weight loss...could this be the reason I struggle so much with weigh lost....Thanks for taking the time to look at this case. Dawn
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/28/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)

Hello! My name is***** and I will take the time to answer your question =)

It's unclear to me exactly why you were bleeding. There are many causes of bleeding post partum-- the main one is uterine atony meaning that after the baby is delivered the uterus, which is basically one big muscle, does not clamp down well on itself to stop the bleeding. Atony happens for many reasons. . primarily an over distended uterus (from polyhydramnios-- too much fluid, a large baby, multiple gestations, etc). Another reason it may have happened is that perhaps there was a retained piece of the placenta. Sometimes when a baby is delivered part of the placenta can stay behind and cause bleeding. Again, with the history you gave it is hard to know what the cause was. I don't think though that this is related to struggling to lose weight. It is important though that if you do want to have another baby that you watch your weight while pregnant as obesity can lead to many problems and make gestational diabetes and a large baby (and thus over distended uterus with increased likelihood of bleeding) possible.

Take care. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to have another baby!

It sounds like you are on the right track of what might have happen to me...when I woke up two days later....I know they had to put 16 pints of blood into me very quickly....I was bruised all over my arm and down there....It was something that no women would want to go through again but I would do it again because it was all worth it because my daughter is priceless..but I don't want to die giving birth and my children our left without a mother...do you know what the chances of this happening two times????

I wish I could give you more information but you really need to ask your doctor (OBGYN) to review your operative report to find out the exact reason as to why this happened. He or she will then be able to give you that answer. It's important that you know.

Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Thanks! They say have another one and they would give medicine to me..and it would not happen...
Take care! Best of luck.