OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 25 years old. My husband and I use the withdraw method…

Customer Question
I am 25 years old...
I am 25 years old. My husband and I use the withdraw method of BC; however, two weekends ago we had a "slip-up" and I was having ovulation cramps at the time. I had menstruated the week before. I took Plan B contraceptive two days after the incident happened. It's now been three weeks after I took the pill and have started noticing some light cramping and irregular spotting. The blood is light in color with sometimes having dark brown clotting. The blood is only there when I go to wipe and notice it, otherwise it doen't show up on my underwear. I have heard of implantation bleeding but this bleeding I've had for over a week now and it's staying the same, it isn't the same as menstruation blood as when I'm on my cycle. I've noticed that I get more tired day by day and my back where my kidneys are, are starting to ache. Would it be too early to try a HPT? With these symptoms do you believe I could possibly be pregnant and that the Plan B contraceptive did not work? I'd appreciate any answer you could give me. Thanks for your time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/28/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Implantion occurs about 10 days after ovulation. And, since it has been 3 weeks since the incident the pregnancy test woudl be very accurate - and there is a slight failure rate of plan B at the 48 hour level of around 10% failure.