OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I need to write a trajectory for the disease anemia in

Customer Question
pregnancy. Would like some direction...
I need to write a trajectory for the disease anemia in pregnancy. Would like some direction for sources.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
What do you mean a trajectory?
And, what specifically are you looking for - because anemia is not really a disease in pregnancy - it is associated with other 'causes' what we call etiologies.
It was a suggestion from my instructor, like what the disease looks like pre and acute and long term. Maybe you could suggest a disease, OB GYN that would have phases that would be interesting to write about. I am a senior in colleg for my BSN and the class is Elderly holistic care and chronic illness.
OB GYN Doctor: khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)

Dr. Wilson opted out. I will try to help you.
Your iron requirements go up significantly when you're pregnant. Iron is essential for making hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen to other cells. During pregnancy, the amount of blood in your body increases until you have almost 50 percent more than usual. And you need more iron to make more hemoglobin for all that additional blood. You also need extra iron for your growing baby and placenta.
Unfortunately, most women start pregnancy without sufficient stores of iron to meet their body's increased demands, particularly in the second and third trimesters. If you get to the point where you no longer have enough iron to make the hemoglobin you need, you become anemic.
Your risk is even higher if you have morning sickness severe enough to cause frequent vomiting, if you've had two or more pregnancies close together, if you're pregnant with more than one baby, if you have an iron-poor diet, or if your pre-pregnancy menstrual flow was heavy.
This is why the amount of iron you need shoots up during pregnancy from 18 to 27 milligrams (mg) per day. Because it's hard to get enough iron through diet alone, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that pregnant women take a daily supplement of 30 mg of elemental iron as a preventive dose. Many prenatal supplements contain that amount.
Iron deficiency is by far the most common cause of anemia in pregnancy, but it's not the only cause. You could also develop anemia from not getting enough folic acid or vitamin B12, by losing a lot of blood, or from certain diseases such as lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, kidney failure or inherited blood disorders such as sickle dell disease.

The treatment for anemia depends on the cause. Iron supplements are not always the answer.

Your practitioner tests your blood for anemia at your first prenatal appointment. One of these tests (hematocrit) measures the percentage of red blood cells in your plasma. The other (hemoglobin) measures the number of grams of hemoglobin in your blood.

Even if you're not anemic at the beginning of pregnancy, it's not uncommon to develop anemia as your pregnancy progresses, so you'll have another blood test in your late second trimester or early third trimester. It's normal for your hemoglobin and hematocrit levels to go down somewhat in the second half of pregnancy, when the amount of blood in your body is expanding dramatically and the amount of plasma (the fluid component of blood) increases faster than the number and size of red blood cells – but you don't want them to dip too low.

If you do become anemic, you might not have any symptoms at all, especially if your condition is mild. Or you might feel tired, weak, and dizzy. (Of course, these are symptoms that many women experience during pregnancy, anemic or not.) You might also notice that you're paler (especially in your fingernails, the underside of your eyelids, and your lips). Other symptoms include a rapid heartbeat, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, headache, irritability, and trouble concentrating.

Finally, some studies have found a link between severe iron-deficiency anemia and cravings for non-food substances such as ice, paper, or clay (a condition known as pica).
There are also complications with blood loss during the pregnancy and delivery.

• The second and third trimester: placenta previa, abruptio placentae (especially, due to preeclampsia), the rupture of the uterus (because of c-sections, placenta percreta)