OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife had a histerectomy two weeks ago, on friday june 25…

My wife had a histerectomy...
My wife had a histerectomy two weeks ago, on friday june 25 she developed a fever of 103.9 and i took her to the emergency room. they took blood samples and determined here to have a urinary tract infection and bacterial vaginosis. They also took blood for a culture but we will not have the results until monday. Since the visit here temperature has been between 99.0 and 102.7 The only time the fever goes down is after taking advil and ice packs. She has not been able to have a bowel movement, she is gasious and has tenderness in the adomon. She is nausious. SHe can only stand or walk for a short time and is having pain come and go more and more frequently. We have an appointment on monday to see her doctor. Should I wait till monday to take here to the hospital and does the symptoms sound like an intestinal blockage?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Did they do any other testing such as a CT scan?
Does she have bowel movements - if so, regular, or diarrrhea?

No on an other testing

She has only had 4 since the surgery two weeks ago and none since friday. She had a small discarge on Saturday but it was extreemly painful.

What kind of hysterectomy - Abdominal (where is the incison if so - horizontal, or midline vertical), or Vaginal, or Laparoscopic?
Where is here pain - all over her stomach, or more lower in the pelvis?

Her hysterectomy was vaginal, he also pinned her bladder back into a normal position.

Here pain is lower than her stomach. She says her stomach feels fine, other than being nausious.

I am sorry about all the questions - is she able to urine without a problem right now?
Any bleeding so far?
What are some of the highest fevers - and HOW often do the fevers occur?

other than the UTI she has been urinating very often.

No bleeding at all

The highest fever was on friday 103.9 took her to the hospital

Since then about every four hours her temperature will spike around 102.8

Her temperature one hour agou was 100.3 and her tempurature now is 101.0

Your wife has a very high likelihood of an abscess, a hematoma, or a urinoma - basically this is possibily what is causing her fevers and these must be drained if this is what she has - and she NEEDS a CT scan to get a proper diagnosis and then to get treated appropirately because you can put as many antibiotics as you want in a person - but with one of these diagnosis, antibiotics will NOT work - so I would HIGHLY recommend getting evaluated for this - and if the ER is NOT helping, she needs to be seen by her ob/gyn who did the surgery no later than tomorrow - ...
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Thank you, we have an appointment first thing in the morning with her DOC. I will make sure she gets a CT then
Outstanding, a good ob/gyn will definitely order a CT scan for this.