OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have not had a period in 3 years, Im 48 years old and have…

Customer Question
I have not had a...
I have not had a period in 3 years, Im 48 years old and have a strange sensation in my adbomen. I took a pregnancy test last night that gave a "weak" [+] and then took the test this morning at 5am and it shows negative? Is it possible that I could be pregnant not having a period in 3 years?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/27/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Hello! My name is***** and I will take the time to answer your question =)

If you have not had a period in three years you are technically menopausal (definition is no periods in 1 year) and should not be able to get pregnant secondary to lack of ovulation. I agree that the pregnancy test results are unusual and think that you should have a doctor draw a BHCG blood level (the pregnancy hormone). It is possible (and I don't mean to be an alarmist) that you could have a tumor-- sometimes an HCG level can be elevated in these circumstances. Being that you got two different pregnancy test results I think it does warrant a blood test by a doctor. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "strange sensation" but if you have noticed increased abdominal girth, this is definitely worth a physical exam by a doctor and possibly a pelvic ultrasound.

Take care :)
The sensation that Im having is sort of like a pulled feeling right behind my naval. I have not been able to detect any knots or growths but there is an unusual feeling in that area. Both of my parents died of cancer.

I have been feeling really tired and run down but have had no other problems as I have started exercising a little each day.
What type of cancer did your parents have?
Mother had breast cancer and my father had malenoma { ?} sorry for the poor spelling!
Ah ok. Well thankfully neither are abdominal cancers :)

In any case, I would still recommend a visit with the OBGYN for some general blood work (CBC, BHCG blood level) and possibly pelvic ultrasound.
I have had recent problem with my teeth as I have lost several and chewing food is a challenge. So I have had a problem with acid reflux here recently with bouts of severe heartburn so Im really confused and scared.

I have been pregnant with one child (25 years old) which I had deep vein thrombosis and was in the hospital the entire pregnancy. My doctor told me then that if I ever got pregnant again that it would probably kill me. The thought of blood clots scare me and I guess Im trying to decide if I should try another pregnancy test or just try and find a doctor to check things out.
I don't think you are pregnant. Based on three years of no periods you are in menopause and should not have even the possibility of getting pregnant. . .but I would still tell you to follow up with a doctor to make sure everything else is ok and that there are no other reasons for these symptoms that you may be missing. That one pregnancy test should not have shown up positive (even faintly). . .it is unusual. I don't think you'll regret going to the doctor and it sounds like some basic labwork might be helpful.
Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Thank you for your help. I will find a doctor this week to see. It helps knowing what kind of test to ask for. I appreciate your time and your advise. I will follow up this week.

God Bless you for the work that you do...Good, honest doctors are hard to come by now a days. Im not one to panic, but I do understand the urgency in heeding your advise.

Thank you again. Have a great Day!.
Have a wonderful day as well-- try not to worry, it is likely nothing other than one weird pregnancy test and some bad reflux. ..but I always say safe than sorry and you won't regret going to the doctor but you may regret not going. Take care :)