OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am just after finishing a round of Puregon 50iu for 9days…

Customer Question
Hi I am just after...
Hi I am just after finishing a round of Puregon 50iu for 9days and 75iu for 7 days... it was a slow start as i have PCOS.. and a 2 & 1/2 mth cycle.. follicles from 8mm to 12 mm and growing...finally after 16injections of Puregon i got two good follicles, one being 17mm and the other being 19mm the doc was happy so he gave me the HCG shot on tuesday. i went in today for my scan to see If follicles burst and if i ovulated to my shock i havent ovulated yet... i only have one follicle remaining and it is at 23mm... nurse said other follicle erupted.. she told me not to worry as i have a long cycle, my question to you is WILL I OVULATE i was in so much shock i never got to ask her this. im due back in the morning to see if its burst.. is there a chance that i wont ovulate?? my egg reserve is very good by the way and my lining is very good also... Like could this follicle erupt like the last one as the other one just disappeared? im not looking for the right thing to say to cheer me up but just the facts also i am feeling very sore like pelvic pains period like pains so i really thought i did ovulate and no they are not in my head .. i always think of questions when ive left the scanning room never when im in there, thanks a million
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 day by:
6/27/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
I can sense your anxiety regarding your last follicle and I want to caution you to not get any more stressed by these events. Yes, your follicle could go on to rupture and produce an egg, it is a 50-50 chance that the egg is produced and is healthy. However your stress level could adversely affect this as well. This is a hard time when going through this process but I always try yo remind my patients that they need to carrying on their usual activities as much as possible. While I know this is not easy it is important to remember and keep in my if you have to go through another cycle, but let's hope you won't have to. Good luck!
*********
That said I am a strong believer of maintaining a healthy body. All of your organs function better if you live healthily. Healthy living will help strengthen your immune system. So no cigarettes use or other smoking, no alcohol. Eat lots of fruits and veggies at least 5-6 servings per day and get regular exercise (30 min per day or 40-45 min 4-5 x per week). And of course drink lots of water, at least 64 oz a day; as well as limiting caffeine intake, for every cup of caffeine you need an additional cup of water. After each 30-minute exercise period you should drink at least 20 oz of fluid to replenish what you have lost during sweating, avoid caffienated products.
********
Hope this is clear, if not let me know.