OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Had a hysterectomy in 02 sex was always uncomfortable after…

had a hysterectomy in 02...
had a hysterectomy in 02 sex was always uncomfortable after in the last year impossable causes severe pain and bleeding with only about 3 inches of penetration can not even incert a douch dr tried to do a pap about 2 weeks ago the dr said she could not even see my cervix they have put off my next visit for another 2 weeks (dr out of town) was told if anything would have been wrong the dr would have called well i know something is very wrong but can only guess cancer could it be anything else
6/25/2010
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
When you had a hysterectomy - did you have this abdominally or vaginally?
Do you still have your ovaries?
Do you still have your CERVIX?
Have you ever had an abnormal PAP?
Why did you have a hysterectomy?
complete hysterectomy vaginally i'm guessing yes on the cervix never a bad pap had hysterectomy for 3 reasons andometerosis a cyst and can't remember the other reason dr at time said the discomfort was just scar tissue and would go away it never did and after time only got worse
Please don't tell me this doctor doing the exam is an ob/gyn?
no sir gp but i need a refurral to get to a gyn
Okay - you do NOT have a cervix - hence why it could not be found. And, since you are bleeding - you most likely have vaginal atrophy since the lining of your vagina has thinned out. But, you do need to make sure that you do not have a cancer (VERY UNLIKELY) - and you might just benefit from the use of some vaginal estrogen tablets or estrogen cream.
why only pain when trying to have sex or any type of incertion and only bleeding when either is attempted sex has not been able to happen for about a year can not get past the pain it's as bad or worse than child birth
This is due to vaginal atrophy which is caused by an estrogen deficiency - which causes your vagina to get very thin - and hence very dry, painful and can bloody too.
even swell so much that penitrstion is not possible? i stoped taking my harmone pills about 4 years ago because a gyn told i should try getting off of them if i could
Absolutely with estrogen deficiency, this can change everything - and since you do NOT have a uterus, you really can still use the estrogen alone - you do NOT require, nor do you need the progesterone - just estrogen.
if i find that this is the problem how long will it be before i will be able to resume having sex
If you use vaginal estrogen tablets, 10mg, and you can use this daily to as few as 2 times per week - and you vagina should become supple, less dry, and much easier to have sex and no bleeding in about 2 to 4 weeks.
THANK YOU for giving me an answer that isn't cancer was really scared and couldn't think what else it could be there is alot of other cancers in my family just never any of this type you have relieved my mind alot just by sounding so positive with a possiability i appreciate your time and answers i do know that this was given without an exam and am working to try and get it corrected what if any are the lasting results if it isn't taken care of in a timely fashion
Thank you, if you are satisfied with my answers, please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)

don't guess you practice anywhere near wichita falls,texas sure wish you did you have really relieved my mind alot sorry i don't have more money because you deserve it but i have other health problems and not worked in 2 years again THANK YOU for your time and trouble

Sorry - in VA, wish I could help in person.
will leave you alone now Smile but hope you have a wonderful day and weekend you were great and i've book marked your sight for my further questions
Thank you.
did this start when i had my hysterectmy or is this an unrelated matter i ask because i've had discomfort and some type of pain since and does this cause a major drop is sex drive or was that just the hysterectomy
This could have started when you had the hysterectomy as this have could have caused a decrease in estrogen.