OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am taking the pill to stop having my period whilst I am…

Customer Question
I am taking the pill...
I am taking the pill to stop having my period whilst I am away swimming. (I cannot wear tampons as I get severe toxic shock.)
I have taken my last hormonal pill after 21 days and will be missing the placebo's and going straight onto the hormonal tablets again.
My body is cramping/feeling heavier etc as it normally does a couple of days just prior to my period. I usually put on 1/2-1 kilo in weight on too.
My question is: Since I won't be having a period what happens to the menstrual fluid that has built up in my body since it won't be released as normal.
Many thanks Rob
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 8 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Menstrual fluid doesn't really build up in your body. The reason that you can continue to take the pill and not have a period is that the uterine lining doesn't build up very much while taking the pill because of the progesterone that's in all the active pills. However, it does build up somewhat, and skipping periods doesn't work well for every woman. Sometimes while continuing to take the active pills, a period just "wants to come", and some bleeding will start. If it's slight bleeding, you can usually ignore it. If it's more than that, it's usually best to stop the active pills and let the period come. The fact that your body is cramping and feeling heavier might mean that you'll have some spotting, or it might not. If it's just that your body retains some fluid due to the hormones in the pill, those fluids will stay in your body until you take the inactive pills, and then come out in your urine. This fluid retention is not enough for most women to notice, but it is for some. Best wishes.