OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I just ot results from the doctor today that i have an

Customer Question
my name is ***** *****...
my name is ***** ***** i just ot results from the doctor today that i have an breast abscess,is there any type of natural alternative to be rid of it,or is surgery a must?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/25/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.Ashwini Joshi, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr.Ashwini Joshi
Dr.Ashwini Joshi, OB/GYN (Doctor)

As and abscess is a collection of bacteria and other organism with debris(pus) is a closed cavity like breast,it does needs to be drained.Some warrant use of antibiotics to curtail it but the best is to drain it surgically which gives immediate pain relief(as it decreases the tension in a closed environment) and also helps in faster healing.

If this is not drained or not treated with antibiotics it may lead to chronic infection or even spread to other parts of the body.

So the best option in this case would be antibiotics and drainage by surgery.And it is likely to be just a small incision so there would not be a scar.

All the best.Hope this helps you.

at the moment there is no pain,the doctor today told me it is called a cold abcsess.. what do they do when they take it out? am i asleep when they do it?

It is an abscess which has pus and bacteria,but it does not cause pain.

Usually it is done under short anesthesia and sedation,where they make a small incision and drain out all the pus and clean it with antiseptics.Depending on how big it is you may need dressings for some days.