OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

What can I do for bacterial oder during and after my period…

Customer Question
what can I do for...
what can I do for bacterial oder during and after my period and having sex is worse and becomes stronger! Please help me with what I can do to get rid of this. My doctor has prescribe me Tindamax 500mg tablets. So Please help me!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/25/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Is the Tindamax not working?
it works but then it comes back

Other medications that might work are clindamycin (cleocin) or Metronidazole (flagyl) which are antibiotics and you need a prescription - but you might want to try an over the counter product called RepHresh. What you probably have is BV - bacterial vaginosis which is just an over growth of your normal vaginal bacteria.
Is this something that is contagious?? Can it spread from one person to another? Is it possible that my man friend could get it ? My doctor says that it is something that is being spread from one to another.. Am I ever gonna get rid of this?? It seems like it goes away and then it is back again
No, BV is not contagious - this is just your own bacteria from the vagina which is normal. No, it does not spread from person to person and men do not get BV even if you have it. You need to do the antibiotics, and possibly the RepHresh and sometimes this can take a very long time because your vaginal pH does control the overgrowth of this bacteria and RepHresh can keep it in control or another product that your doctor can write a prescription for called Boric Acid vaginal suppositories.
Will active live culture yogart help if I take it? I am so Thank ful for your help and I will try this. My doctor says that my friend and I keep passing this back and forth. Now it is making more sense.
This might or might not help, I do have many patients who try yogart and they say it works, but not for all patients. But NO, this is not something that is passed back and forth - what happens is that the semen changes your vaginal pH and then you have an overgrowth of your normal vaginal bacteria, and hence an odor.
What would the best kind of doctor should I have? I've been told the best ones are the OB/GYN ? They are the best to have! I have a friend that had a total hysterecomy- her overies, flopian tubes, uterous, and cervix are all gone, she had fibriods. She has never weighed over 120lbs and now she is 188 and her body weight is recking havac on her organs and has to loose at least 50 lbs.. but she is on zoloft 150mg daily and a simistaton. and the zoloft is keeping her from loosing weight.. but the zoloft is helping with her hot flashes and she gets hot flashes so bad that she abouts pass out.. What natural or prescriptions can help with her hot flashes?? She had a blood clot 11 years ago so she can't take hormones
Yes, I would recommend someone like myself, an ob/gyn (sorry about taking a bit of time to answer - but I was delivering a baby).
A hysterectomy would not help this, and if you have problems with depression and concerned about weight, then Wellbutrin would be a better medication than zoloft.
As for hot flashes - try this website that I work on:
http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/hrt/hrt_food_and_estrogen.htm
and I also prescribe a NON-hormonal medication called clonidine (also known as catapress) and this works very well for hotflahses.