Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
2652662

SOMETIMES WHEN MY PERIOD MY BLOOD FLOATS. IS THIS A SIGN OF

SOMETIMES WHEN I'M HAVING MY PERIOD MY BLOOD FLOATS. IS THIS A SIGN OF ANYTHING? BECAUSE WHEN THIS HAPPENS I USUALLY DON'T FEEL MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY RIGHT.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question at Justanswer.com. It is my privilege to help you figure this out.

I presume that you mean that the blood clots from your period float on water. This is often the case as fresh blood clots are usually less dense than water and they do float. After a while when they get more hard and organized, blood clots may begin to sink, but in general blood clots do float.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It's not clots at all.

Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 7 years ago.
If not, what do you mean by "floats". Do you mean that the blood stays on top and does not mix with the water? or is it little bits and pieces of blood?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the blood stay on top of the water and doesn't mix. Is small pieces with the regular red color not dark, and is syrupy. On the months this happens I usually know it is going to because I will not be feeling right.
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 7 years ago.
When you bleed more heavily than a usual period, the blood can congeal into a syrup or tiny little clots that look like small bits and pieces. This usually floats. Having heavily periods can make you anemic and cause you to feel lightheaded and dizzy and generally not well.

However, there are many possible reasons for not feeling mentally or physically well, and although it may be related to your periods, it may be something else as well. This requires a full evaluation by your physician to determine what the problem is and what you can do about it.