OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a breast that has nipple discharge thats been

Customer Question
occuring on and off for...
I have a breast that has nipple discharge thats been occuring on and off for about a year and a half. The nipple will start to feel tender and then I can usually feel like if fluid is filling. I am able to squeeze the fluid out, its usually cloudy thick fluid. What could this be from?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/23/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Have you ever had a full term pregnancy?
Have you ever breastfed an infant?
Describe the discharge (DC), color, odor?
Do you stimulate your nipples during sex, otherwise? If so any relation to the DC?
Hi, yes I've had one full term pregnancy. I did breast feed her but only was able to for three weeks, I wasn't producing enough milk. The discharge does not smell and it its a cloudy white color I sometimes have some blood come out after the cloudy white stuff comes out. During sex they are stimulated but I don't have any discharge from stimulation.
Thanks for the additional information.
It sound like the discharge is due either to nipple stimulation or to abnormal hormone elevation. Even though the DC does not occur right after nipple stimulation, it can be related. You should try to avoid the nipple stimulation for a period of 2-4 weeks. See if there is a decrease in the DC. If not then it may be time to have a hormonal level checked for prolactin. Since you have had a pregnancy your breast are primed to produce breast milk. This can occur if the nipples are stimulated or if the prolactin level becomes elevated.
The hormone elevation can be treated with medication.
********
Hope this is clear, if not let me know.
Does it make a difference that its on the one nipple that has the discharge? And when you say to stop stimulation do you mean for both breast?
stop the stimulation for both breasts. It does not make a difference.
Hope this is clearer.