OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I recently developed what appeared to be a bad vaginal

Customer Question
infection and went to see...
I recently developed what appeared to be a bad vaginal infection and went to see my GYN. The infection is extremely painful and I had a few small sores in the vaginal and anal areas. She took a swab of the sore for testing and had blood work done same day. The swab results came back positive for Herpes, but the blood work for Herpes was negative. What exactly does that mean? I am in a monogamous relationship with a man for 15 years and we were both virgins when we married. I am so confused!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/21/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Hello! My name is***** and I will take the time to answer your question =)

What I would do in this situation is have a repeat blood test. The infection you describe certainly does sound like herpes and as you know this is a sexually transmitted disease. It is possible that either the culture or blood test was a false positive or false negative. By repeating the blood test you should get your answer.

Take care.
Is it possible that the specimen test was wrong? How could I possibly get Herpes when both me and spouse have been with no one else?
This isn't entirely true. Herpes comes in two types-- type 1 and type 2. Typically we think of type 2 as being the sexual transmitted one that causes vaginal infections; however if you or your husband have ever had a "fever blister" or "cold sore" this is a herpes infection and theoretically you could have broken out in the genital region from type 1 herpes. Again though, this should show up in a blood test assuming your doc checked you or both HSV1 and HSV 2.
Is one form worse than the other?
No, one form is not worse than the other. Basically they cause similar symptoms-- it more depends on the location of the body which is affected as to how the symptoms will appear.