OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I just used the first of three day dosage of monistat III…

Customer Question
I just used the first...
I just used the first of three day dosage of monistat III for a yeast infection, due to my new vigorous work-out schedule. I just woke up from being asleep due to extreme interior vaginal itching a few hours after insertion. What do can I do for relief? It's so bad i can't sleep. How can I go to work like this? I had minor external itching and discomfort before I started the treatment, but nothing like this!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/21/2010
OB GYN Doctor: khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
It could be a side effect of monistat. Wash out monistat. Put OTC hydrocortisone cream w/o or w/ antihistamine.
Your symptoms before monistat may not be due to yeast infection. You should see a gynecologist to have the exam and get appropriate medication if your symptoms continue.
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Thank you for your quick response. Is that a common side effect? And, not to sound dumb but are you suggesting that I insert OTC hydrocortisone? I thought that was only for topical use? How would I do that?
I thought you used monistat cream for the external part. It is not so common, but one of the major side effects. Just wash out the monistat.
Hope you feel better.