OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

What is the difference between a sebaceous cyst in the labia

Customer Question
and a bartholin cyst?...
what is the difference between a sebaceous cyst in the labia and a bartholin cyst?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/21/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 7 years ago
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,

Sebaceous cyst & Bartholin's cyst arise from different glands. Sebaceous cyst arises from the blockage of the duct of sebaceous glands. Sebaceous glands are widespread & may appear in other parts of the body too. Please read this good resource on it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000842.htm

Bartholin's gland are however present inside the labia . It has a definite location. The cyst arises also from block of its duct. Please see this picture.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM02902

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
if the cyst appears to be halfway between the clitoris and the bottom of the vaginal opening it is probably a sebaceous cyst? I have had ingrown hairs which have turned into cysts in this area before but this one is quite a bit bigger and more tender. When should I go see my doctor? It drained a bit tonight.
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 years ago
Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN

It it is draining on its own, it may resolve without going to the doctor. Warm soaks will help pull out the drainage. If it starts to get bigger or ,ore painful again, you should see your physician.

Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN