OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I dont know if Dr. is available but he helped me when I

Customer Question
I dont know if Dr...
I dont know if Dr. Wilson is available but he helped me when I emailed him frantically
about an ultrasound I was scheduled to have of a breast that was throbbing and hurting me. Thank God it came back negative and so did the mammography they took after the negative ultrasound just to be safe. But I still had a few more quick questions for him. Is he available ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/18/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
I am available.
ok so thankfully the ultrasound of the left breast and the mammography they took on monday were both negative. they concluded that my lumpy breasts have not changed since the last mammography 9 months ago, and that i must have injured the breast somehow. My questions are regarding the yaz I have been taking. I am 49 and have been taking it for a year, and i get no period on it. I am fine with that. The gyn said it would help manage my weight, and may help with libido too (i have none) i didn't believe her until i went off of it for a month and felt worse. being off of it made me feel like when i was just taking progesterone b/c my blood pressure was a bit high. This happened years ago, but iI remember the feeling well. Can Yaz give me cancer if I am on it too long at my age? At this point i am not using it for birth control, but for the estrogen effect. is that ok ? I am dealing with the night sweats and hot flashes on my own, for some reason i am afraid of stopping the yaz and trying clonodine, does the yaz at this stage of my life present some good effects for me?
i have not received an answer yet, although it says i have.
i would like a response in reference to the yaz questions i asked
i would like a response regarding my use of yaz for the estrogen benefit at age 49 and for the benefit of weight management (which i really have not seen) but i guess my weight would be worse off of yaz.
Hello -
Sorry I had an emergency - I'm back.
Yaz can not give you cancer.
Yas really does NOT help with weight, it might even put on a couple of pounds.
But, for you for libido - you might be better off with DHEA - which is available over the counter in most vitamin stores, health food stores or pharmacies.
Also, for menopausal symptoms - if the yaz is not working, then stop the yaz, and then try a product (prescription) called clonidine (also known as catapress).
ok. i bought the dhea when you mentioned it on monday.
i was planning to use it and low and behold the mayo clinic came out with this article that dhea causes breast cancer.. and acne i was like what ??
is there any validity to that at 25 mg ? or 75 mgs ?
i saw in the drug store some menopausal vitamins have dhea listed at 75 mgs.
the yaz is there any estrogen benefits or other benefits to staying on it ?
also what are the side effects of the catapress? maybe stop yaz
and go to dhea and black cohorsh ?
There is always a possibility of cancer - now does DHEA actually increase the risk of breast cancer - no one knows for sure with this. Also, anything that increases the testosterone levels can increase risk of acne - but at the age of 49, this would be very unlikely.
With the Yaz, there is some estrogen benefits, but very minimal - so no real benefit of staying on a birth control pill.
Catapress is an antihypertensive medication - and it can decrease your blood pressure slightly, but not much.
You can try black cohosh and here is a list from one of my websites:
http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/hrt/hrt_food_and_estrogen.htm
well then maybe i should stop the yaz since i am 49 and you said that i may get a period but am not ovulating, and the yaz might actually have put a few pounds on me , so there is minimal benefit in the estrogen area by taking yaz, and yaz doesn't help with weight management or libido according to you. but does it really help with acne ? i have virtually no acne on it, i have not gotten a period on the yaz for a year, does that mean i don't get periods anymore ? i am thinking of stopping the yaz and trying something OTC for the night sweats and the hot flashes, maybe it is time to give my body a break and see what it does on its own ? thank you
Yes, Yaz helps with acne.
You might be in menopause by now since you have not had a period, even with the yaz.
Take care and if satisfied, please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
ok let's finish up.
in other words if i was peri-menopausal then if i was taking the yaz i would still have some form of period on the days i stop taking the yaz, the way it has been for years ?
so, no period on yaz might mean no more periods at all ?
do a lot of women do alright during menopause with just some over the counter menopausal vitamins ? if so , what do you recommend ?
maybe getting off the yaz and trying something more natural than synthetic might help me all around ? thank you
You might or might not have a period - not everyone does. And, most likely you will not have any periods off of the yaz.
Most women do fine without anything off of any hormones - but hence the clonidine I mentioned might help if you do have any symptoms such as hot flashes.
any bad side effects other than maybe lower blood pressure on the clonidine ?
will my body go all wacko off the yaz,
will i gain weight or start to look older off the yaz/estrogen ?
this is my last question. thank you.
With a dose of 0.1mg per day of clonidine there will be minimal to zero affect on your blood pressure. Your body should do fine without yaz - and you will NOT gain weight due to going of the yaz.
i am going to my primary to ask about the 0.1 clonodine
and to stop the yaz.
i guess i could get an ovulation kit to see if by a long shot i still ovulate, i am not interested in getting pregnant at 49 ! maybe i will feel better and my breasts wont be so big if i stop the yaz... what do you think about that ?
Don't waste your money on an ovulation test kit.
Your breasts should feel better without the estradiol from the yaz.
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
that is it - i am going off of it tomorrow.
thank you very much !
Take care and have a wonderful weekend.