OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Ive been getting my period every two weeks for the past

Customer Question
couple of months. what...
Ive been getting my period every two weeks for the past couple of months. what potential causes could there be and is this normal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/18/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you. Mid cycle spotting could be due to ovulation bleeding, which is very common, but tends to be sporadic (not every month). Other causes could be a vaginal infection (but rare without discharge and odor), or a possible growth in your uterus or cervix like a polyp or fibroid (benign, but bothersome). If it continues next month, then there is a definite pattern and you should call your doctor for evaluation.
I hope you find this information helpful.
Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me.
Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.
Good Luck and Well Wishes,
Dr. Haver
I haven't had any spotting, it's been a full period that lasts about 5 days. I thought it may be a thyroid issue but sounds like this could be an infection?
Just following up
it could be an infection. The only way to know for sure is to see your doctor for an exam.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 8 years ago
Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN

It sounds like you are not ovulating on a regular basis right now. If you do not ovulate, you do not have a normal period and do not shed the lining off completely. When that happens, it gets so thick that it sheds off again 2 weeks later.

Ther are many reasons why you may not be ovulating. Thyroid disease can cause this as well as other illnesses. Stress is a common reason as well or hormonal imbalances. My advice is to see your gynecologist for an exam and have some blood tests done. I hope this helps.

Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN