OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

What is the way that I can find out whether my IUD is still…

Customer Question
what is the way that...
what is the way that I can find out whether my IUD is still in or came out,and I am having heavy bleeding
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/18/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 8 years ago
Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, I would be happy to assist you. Did your ob/gyn order an ultrasound of your uterus to confirm whether or not the IUD is present? Did you have an ultrasound performed prior to the IUD being placed (if so, was it normal)? Do you recall having any strange sensations within the vagina or feeling anything fall out of the vagina? Thanks.
I had ultrasound this morning and the ultra sound tech was telling me she couldn't see, and I am not having any sensation with in vagina but in my sleep I had this feeling that something big is coming out and I did went to the bathroom it was just a big clot.
Thank you for the additional information. It is possible that the IUD was contained within that big clot you passed. Since the ultrasound tech did not see the IUD, it is likely that it has fallen out. I recommend you discuss a procedure with your doctor called an endometrial ablation. This procedure involves burning the lining of the uterus so that it does not reproduce well which leads to reduced or no further bleeding. You can learn more about this procedure at http://www.novasure.com/. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions, if necessary. Best wishes.

Do mirena make weight gain because I notice that I have gained weight since last month?

No, the Mirena does not cause weight gain as your body continues to regulate its own menstrual cycle as the hormones in the device do not lead to increased hormones in the blood stream.

Do hypothyroid make a person gain weight even after he or she taking medication

Hello again,

I would be happy to help you with additional questions, however, please click 'Accept' for the answer to your initial question. Otherwise, I will not be credited for my time/advice. Thanks for understanding.

Dr. Hearne