OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been on birth control pills for about 9 months, my…

Customer Question
I have been on birth...
I have been on birth control pills for about 9 months, my 1st question is; since i got on the pill my period has always came while I was still on the white pill not the brown pills, is that normal? My 2nd question is just recently I got my period again while still on the white pills, but my discharge was not red blood it was the brown one and that continued for about 4 days is that normal? Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
As long as your period comes that is normal.
Answer to your second question is also normal -
IF you are on a triphasic and/or a low dose birth control pill, you might want to consider talking to your doctor about increasing the dosage of the estrogen in the pill. IF on a pill that has the words TRI or 7/7/7 in the pill name, then change to a monophasic pill.
I am currently on the Loestrin 24 pills, so just to make sure I understood, even though my period comes while I am on the white pills its completely normal to always come while on the white pills and not the brown pills? Also since this month my period just consisted of just brown discharge and not red thats is also completely normal. Thanks again.
this is all normal - but since you are on a low dose pill - you might want to talk to your ob/gyn about getting on a 30 or 35mcg (microgram) birth control pill such as orthocyclen, orthonovum, demulen, or yasmin (not yaz).
If satisfied with my answers, please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you.