OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife had endometriosis....had her uterus and tubes

Customer Question
removed....still has her overis...is it...
my wife had endometriosis....had her uterus and tubes removed....still has her overis...is it still possible for us to have a child? Her egg, and my sperm???? sergants are ok with me..... is it possible and how much will it cost?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/15/2010
OB GYN Doctor: khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
It is possible that you have a child. You need IVF and a surrogate mother. This is a medical procedure where embryos are created in a lab from the father's sperm and the mother's eggs, then the complete embryos are implanted into the uterus of the woman carrying.
The entire gestational surrogacy process is quite lengthy.
In addition to the typical 9 months of pregnancy, gestational surrogacy requires months and months of legwork: interviewing, testing, lawyers, possible involvement with a surrogate agency, coordinating with a surrogacy clinic, and IVF transfers.
It is estimated that in the United States, the payment for a surrogate mother ranges between US $25,000 and $50,000, the whole procedure can cost $75,000 to $90,000+. According to a poll on http://www.surromomsonline.com, fees anywhere from $10,000 to 30,000+ are considered fair by the surrogates themselves; with most voting in the $22,000-$35,000 range. The fees for the rest of the process- including fertility clinics; lawyers; medical fees; and agencies and/or egg donors (if they're used) generally cost more than the fee going to the surrogate. Gestational surrogacy costs more than traditional surrogacy, since more complicated medical procedures are required. Surrogates who carry a baby for a family member (i.e., sister or daughter) usually do so for expenses only.
The average IVF cost is $12,000, but it can be as much as $15,000. It may be as low as $10,000, but it’s rarely lower than that.