OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a herpes blood test last year and it came back

Customer Question
negative. Last week I had...
I had a herpes blood test last year and it came back negative. Last week I had a vaginal exam and was tested, and it came back positive for Herpes type II. Could I have had herpes all this time, and the blood test gave me a false negative? Should I get a second opinion?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/15/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 8 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
The negative herpes blood test last year means that you had not been infected with herpes up to that time. Since you tested positive on your vaginal exam last week, you probably acquired the herpes infection fairly recently. I don't think you could have had the herpes all this time. False negatives are rare. I don't think a second opinion will change anything. Best regards.
The doctor is telling me that I could have had it for years and it is just now showing up. I am having thick brown red discharge that feels itchy on the inside. I also have a open sore that appeared on my buttocks last week. So you think I was just infected with this?
If you had had herpes for years, the blood test would have shown it last year. I suspect that you were infected fairly recently, and at least since the negative blood test last year.