OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I've had the mirena coil for almost 3 years, I've always had…

Customer Question
I've had the mirena coil...
I've had the mirena coil for almost 3 years, I've always had break out bleeds and lower back pain, recently I have constant although light bleeding, headaches and lower back pain, I feel like someone has kicked me in the head and the back and am considering having it removed.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/15/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dear JACUSTOMER-2y92wuto./ You can always have the IUD removed. But if you like the method,there are alternatives to consider. If your pelvic exam and Pap are normal and an ultrasound considered (to prove the IUD is in the proper place within the uterus), consider that at 46 some hormonal changes are occurring. The lining of the uterus is probably paper thin and lacks integrity. A course of low- dose estrogen alone or in combination with progesterone should get you back on track. Good luck
what kind off hormonal changes?
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 8 years ago
Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN

As you are getting older, your estrogen levels are decreasing which is making the lining of your uterus thinner than it was before. This is why you are bleeding. a low dose of estrogen therapy for a month will correct this. You need to talk to your gynecologist.

As women enter the "change of life" they have some failures in ovulation which upsets hormonal balance. That is the cause of the irregular bleeding of that decade. But the Mirena is constantly releasing progesterone hormone with its local effects on the lining.That is why I gave you the suggestions I did.
Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
If I answered your question, please hit accept so I can get paid for my time.