OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

How overdue is it possible for a baby to be? i was overdue…

Customer Question
How long overdue is it...
How long overdue is it possible for a baby to be? i was overdue and induced 12 days after my due date but am still querying my due dates to this day. my last period was 30th aug. 2008 which meant i was due on 6th june 2009 according to doctor and then my son was 12 days overdue and born on 18th june. Is it possible i was pregnant before my last period (as it was only light) meaning the baby was longer overdue than 12 days?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
What was the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP)?
Did you miss periods prior to your LMP?
Did you have an ultrasound (US) within the first 10 weeks of the pregnancy? If so results?
the first day of lmp was 30th aug 2008. i didnt miss any periods prior to this. my first scan was at 20wk's due to long waiting lists at hospital
Thanks for the additional information
Given your due date based on the LMP of 30 Aug there is a degree of uncertainty, it can be as much as 2 weeks off in either direction. Unfortunately the 20 week US is not early enough to provide a more accurate picture. I do understand your concern of whether you were induced too early, however a due date (EDC) of 6 June would mean your son was delivered 12 days late which is the most any good obstetrician is will to wait. The outcome hopefully was good. But if the Dr waited 4 or more days longer this could have jeopardized the health of your child.
*******
Hope this is clear, if not let me know.
Thank for that. What im realy querying is the conception date. Im convinced it was mid-sept 2008 but with the dates given would it be possible it couldve been mid-aug 2008
Without a more accurate US it is impossible to give you an exact conception date (CD). The CD based on a LMP can be off by as much as 2 weeks. So based on your LMP, the CD is 14 September, give or take a week in either direction. This is the best. If an US was done within the first 6-10 weeks then the accuracy is improved to be within 2-3 days.
Hope this is clearer. Don't' forget to push the accept button so I get credit for my time and the answers already provide. Take care.

My last question- if i conceived 14th sept would a pregnancy test taken at the beginning of october have been able to detect a positive result or would that have been too early?

It may have been too early it was a urine test. Take care.