OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

3 Negative tests but still thinking im pregnant....

Customer Question
nauseous... heartburn more than normal........
3 Negative tests but still thinking im pregnant.... nauseous... heartburn more than normal...... late period.... not sure what do u think??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/13/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)

Hello! My name is***** and I will take the time to answer your question =)

It's possible that you are too early for the test to pick up. Most over the counter tests can pick up a pregnancy hormone level (BHCG) by about 50 or so. This is typically 2 weeks after your last episode of unprotected sex or about 1 week after your missed period. If you have waited the appropriate amount of time and are still getting negative tests but feeling as though you might be pregnant I would recommend getting a blood test done that measures the actual amount of BHCG in your blood. This would be a bit more expensive than the over the counter tests but would give you an absolute answer.

Take care and best of luck! If it does turn out that you are pregnant make sure to establish care with an OBGYN and start those prenatals :)

Would bacterial vaginosis have any kind of turn on the test? i know my ph balance is off alot. and i didnt know if that could alter the way the test read??? i just feel different. I NEVER have heartburn and im getting it... more nauseous than ever, sleepy but cant sleep, just icky.
Relist: Answer quality.

Bacterial vaginosis should not alter the test results. Although you are correct that it can affect the pH of your vagina, the pregnancy test is designed to pick up the hormone BHCG and should not be affected by pH.

Take care.