OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I hav had irregular periods always, was put on depro for 3…

Customer Question
i hav had irregular periods...
i hav had irregular periods always, was put on depro for 3 years then stopped. I have moodswings - severe anger, frustration, hostility, sometimes violent- decresed libido, tired, anxious, memory loss, cannot sleep for anything, and have had my period since march 16th almost non stop, minus about 8 days. At one point the period lasted 2 weeks and came every 6 weeks, but that only lasted for a fw months. i have an appointment in a few days , but dont know that they will see me with my period.What should i do, what could this be and what should i inform them of or ask them?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2010
OB GYN Doctor: khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change?
Do you have problem adjusting to hot or cold temperature? Tremor? Hair loss? Bowel problem? Palpitations? Voice change?
Do you have hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness?
Do you have any medical problems?
Any surgeries?
Are you taking any medications including OTC pills and herbs?
Any family medical history?

i am 5'7 235 . over past year have lost about 40 lbs very gardually with 30 minutes exercise, more water and change in eating habits ( more protein, balanced carbs, fruit and vegetables, 6 meals a day).

i am typically very warm. and i shed terribly.

no bowel problems. I had irregularity but that has adjusted over the past year . i have heart palpitations perhaps once a week

i get night sweats occasionally

no recurring medical problems.

no surgeries

no medication or OTC's

grandmother, mother and sister - cists and uterine cancer, age of hystorectomys were 45, 37 and 31

no other issues and no other problems

I need to ask you more questions.
When did you have a pelvic exam? Any problems?
Do you have excessive facial or body hair? Do you have thinning hair on the skull? Do you have acne increased?
Do you feel you are always thirsty and drink a lot of liquid? Do you go to the bathroom frequently? Is your appetite increased? Do you crave sweets?

i last had a pelvic exam about 2 years ago, no problems at that appointment.

it seems like my breakouts are more frequent, however its only like this while i have my period.

i do feel very thirsty, it is like i cannot drink enough most of the time - but this is not always, just more often than what is normal.

i feel like i have to urinate , seems like it is during the period also, ALOT. it comes on very quickly and strong, likei am going to pee myself. I have to cross my legs and walk around to get it to subside when i am at work until i have amoment when i can go.

my apetite for sweets has never been great, i am not big into junk food, but i do have cravings that are not on any pattern necessarily - seems to be more when i am beginning and ending my period.

i have excess facial hair on chin and upper lip.but no thinning hair on skull. Just extreme shedding on a regular basis, especially when i get so anxious and nerved out.

It seems that your ovaries don't work well after 3-year depro. You may need to take ovulation medication such as clomid to stimulate your ovaries. Or you may need hormones to relieve your symptoms. It could be called temporary "premature ovarian failure" due to the medication like perimenopause.
Keep doing diet and exercise. It is great that you lost 40 lbs.
You should tell them everything you wrote here.
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
do you feel that i may have excess estrogen or a deficiency in progesterone? Is going on birth control in combination with clomid safe?
I think you have deficiency in estrogen.
Clomid works by "competing" with the estrogen receptors at the hypothalamus. It occupies receptors that would normally "sense" estrogen making it seem that estrogen levels are low. This "competing" action causes the hypothalamus to produce more GnRH with stimulates the pituitary to increase production of FSH. FSH directly stimulates the recruitment and growth of the ovarian follicles, each of which contains an egg. Then the egg is released from the ovarian follicles (ovulation).
The main component of birth control pills is progestin. Progesterone decreases the pulse frequency of (GnRH) release by the hypothalamus, which decreases the release of FSH and greatly decreases the release of LH. Then ovulation is inhibited.
Birth control pills and clomid have opposite effect in ovulation. It doesn't make sense to use both of them.
To treat your symptoms, clomid will stimulate FSH and increase estrogen. Your symptoms will be improved.
Estrogen treatment improves your symptoms, but it doesn't stimulate menstrual cycle including ovulation.
Birth control pills contains estrogen, which may improve your symptoms, but it inhibits ovulation.
The choice of the treatment is whether you want to be pregnant soon or not. If you want, you need ovulation. If not, you don't need ovulation.