OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Ok, here's is my problem. About a year ago I started getting…

Customer Question
Ok, here's is my problem...
Ok, here's is my problem. About a year ago I started getting a different type of vaginal discharge. I'm 33, and have had no problems before. I haven't been sexually active in over a year either.
The discharge... not to sound rude is sticky, and white/faint yellow. Has a bit of an odour to it. Only goes away when I have my period.
I have been to an OB/GYN, and have been swabbed for stds, yeast etc. I haven't been called back, so I am assuming I'm clear for that (yeast/clamydia etc).
I've been treated for BV two times, and it still is there.
I was at a walk-in clinic, and the Dr. said it could be due to excess estrogen.
So here are my questions:
1. If it was BV, then the rounds of antibiotics shoudl have killed it?
2. What would the discharge look like if you had excess estrogen?
3. Is there anything else it could be? I have no abdominal pain. And last pap was clear.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/10/2010
OB GYN Doctor: khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
1. Normally one round is good enough. Sometimes difficult to treat it because some bacteria are resistant to certain antibiotics. In that case, another antibiotics should be used after examining what bacteria exists.
2. Normal discharge has no overt malodor, a thick or clumpy appearance, and white color. These characteristics can vary over a menstrual month depending upon hormones. Increased levels of estrogen are also responsible for the increased amount of clear, stretchy cervical secretions seen around ovulation. After ovulation, discharge tends to become less watery and may look more like library paste in its consistency.
3. It seems that your discharge is normal. Another possibility is there is a ovarian tumor producing estrogen. It is less likely because it causes abnormal vaginal bleeding because of the estrogen.

You should not douche. Douching has been linked to increased incidence of BV in many, but not all studies. One of the better studies also examined the reason for douching. It would make sense that if one had the malodorous BV discharge that douching might be tried to temporarily get rid of the smell. Of the 1200 women studied, douching for hygiene, as well as for symptoms, both shared an increased incidence of BV. While douching once a month incurred an increased risk of having BV, those who had douched within the past week had the highest risk of all. Women who douched also had decreased concentrations of the beneficial lactobacilli bacteria (Ness, 2002). More recently (Brotman, 2008), it was determined that incidence of BV could be decreased if women refrained from douching for hygiene purposes after menstruation.

Ok if this is normal... why has it just started. As I've had a clear discharge for 18 years. It used to be clear.

Now it's thicker, whiter, and sorry for the description, but I guess like wet dough? It does have a bit of an odour, but I find that that odour changes a bit too.

I first noticed it (about 15 months ago) when I had sex, and there was creamy stuff on the condom. I rarely have had unprotected sex (and yes I know it only takes one time).... but I just want to make sure before I become sexually active again. I am still going to see my doctor to 100% follow up. I just wanted to see if the walk-in clinic Dr.'s thought of excess estrogen is a possibility.

I do not have any abnormal bleeding or pelvic pain.

These normal characteristics can vary over a menstrual month depending upon hormones, changes in pH, brief overgrowths of different species of normal vaginal bacteria, and exposure to semen or menstrual flow.
However, you should call your OB & GYN to know the result. It might be bacteria infection because of the odor.
If it is clear, you don't need to worry about it.

No the discharge is not clear. That is the issue. It is white/cream colour and thick.

I saw the OB/GYN a year ago. I thought that if there was anything to be found they would have called me..... ie. if there was bacteria there. When I went, last august the discharge was still there, but minimal.

If a bacterial infection, then the rounds of antibiotics I have been on, should have killed it (metronidazole a few times).

If they swabbed for yeast, would they not also test for BV? Or other bacteria?

Sorry for all the questions, I know you are not my doctor... but I'm just tired of having this. I work a lot and my GP has very limited hours.

I means it (the result) is clear (normal).
If the antibiotics (metronidazole) is sensitive to the bacteria, it should have killed it. If not, some bacteria which is not sensitive to the antibiotics. Some women have recurrent vaginal bacteria infections.
Vaginal cultures should include bacteria and yeast infection.
You should call the OB& GYN to find out the result or see him/her to have another culture if you think it is necessary.
I will be away for 2-3 hours.

ok thank you!

have a good night

You are welcome.