OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am going on my honey moon tomorrow and I thought that by…

Customer Question
I am going on my...
I am going on my honey moon tomorrow and I thought that by skipping my sugar pills this week which was when my period was due and start a new pack of pills my menstrual will not come but it did. Is there anything I can do to end it today?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/10/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you.
Take two pills today, and two pills tomorrow and then go back to one pill a day and that will give you the best chance of successfully stopping your period. Congratulations on your wedding!
I hope you find this information helpful.
Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me.
Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.
Good Luck and Well Wishes,
Dr. Haver
Relist: Answer quality.
Hi - did you have a question about my answer? Were you unhappy with it?
Why didn't skipping the sugar pills and starting a new pack work? My Dr.told me it would work but my period came like if I had not skipped it... I really need to stop it today or my night tomorrow will be really bad
Sure - it usually DOES work and I am unsure why it did not. Did you miss any pills at all? Are you sure you skipped all of the placebo pills? In any case, we need to get this period stopped. Are you taking pills right now?
the new pack
OK - if you took one this morning, take another one right now, and then one right before you go to bed. The extra estrogen will help to stabilize the lining of the uterus and stop the bleeding. Remember that you may feel some nausea from the extra pills so take with food. Also, take another as soon as you wake up and then again in 8 hours. Once the bleeding stops, go back to one pill a day. That is your absolute best chance!
I have not taking any yet because I take them at bed time. Should I go home and take one then one at bed time then one in the morning ?? but then my pack will be all wrong on the dates , when do I start a new one?
Don't worry about the wrong dates - just take the extras from the end of the pack so you don't get confused. Yes, go home and take one right now. When you finish all the pills in this pack you will have a period during the sugar pills then restart your next pack as usual.
I go home now and take One, then tonight One, then tomorrow morning One, then tomorrow night One, is that it? My honey moon is at 8:pm
If you don't get nauseated, you could try to take an extra today (take two when you get home) and keep snacks with you all day to combat nausea. If you feel well, take another before bed. Then two tomorrow as discussed. Then go back to one a day to keep the period away as you travel. Hang in there!!!

Okay I promise this is the last question:

I just took 2 Now. I am going to take 1 at night then two tomorrow morning.

Do I take another one tomorrow night? and then once a day?

No, one tonight, one tomorrow morning, and one tomorrow night. Good Luck!