How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 2536
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Mary Claire Haver, M. D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 66 year old woman. I have not had sex in about five

Resolved Question:

I am a 66 year old woman. I have not had sex in about five years. I am now starting a new relationship. My partner and I are having great difficulty having sex because My vagina is very small and extremely tight. My partner cannot penetrate my vagina because the opening is so small. What can be done to repair this condition? It is very frustrating for me and my partner. We cannot have traditional vaginal sex due to this condition. What surgery can open the vagina again and loosen the vaginal walls a bit, Please respond quickly. My phone number is XXXXX Are there any surgeons in the Ocala, Florida area that do this type of surgery? xxx xxxx
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you.
The good news is that you do not need surgery. The vagina has lost elasticity due to loss of estrogen during menopause and not being used in a few years. The first step is a visit to a gynecologist for an exam, and then likely discussion on using estrogen therapy in the vaginal area to strengthen the tissues. Most women then respond well to serial dilation (there are special graduated dilators made for this exact purpose) over time until a level is reached that you can accommodate your partner comfortably.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me.

Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.

Good Luck and Well Wishes,

Dr. Haver
Mary Claire Haver, M. D. and 3 other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you