How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 59 year old female having period like bleeding and cramps.

Resolved Question:

I am a 59 year old female having period like bleeding and cramps. Have been in menopause for several years. This happens maybe once each year. Have regular pap smears with no problems.
Should I be concerned??
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
You probably do not need to be concerned, but this bleeding should be evaluated since you are menopausal to rule out any cervical, vaginal, endometrial uterine cancer.
This could very well be vaginal atrophy, or even your thyroid.
So you need to have a pelvic exam, a pelvic ultrasound, a PAP smear, an Endometrial Office biopsy and a TSH thyroid blood test.
Dr. Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you