Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Why does my urinary tract infection keep coming back?

Why does my urinary tract infection keep coming back even with meds? It clears up and comes back with a week of the end of the prescription.
Are you having sex? Have you had a urologic evaluation? How long has this been going on? Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, I am not having sex. No urlogic evaluation.

I have been having burning sensation off and on since December of 2009.

If a urine culture confirms that a urinary infection is back a week after finishing the medication, there is something wrong that needs to evaluated. If the infection is from bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotic you've been taking, then you need a different antibiotic. If that's not the case, there is something wrong with your urinary system. Perhaps you're not emptying your bladder completely, making you more susceptible to infection. Perhaps you have a diverticulum (outpouching) from your urethra which is a source of infection. In any case, I think you need an evaluation, probably by a urologist, which would include looking into your bladder (cystoscopy) to find the reason for your recurrent infections. Best regards.