OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

i feel like something is going to fall out of my vagina ...

Customer Question
i feel like something is...
i feel like something is going to fall out of my vagina... When i stand up from sitting or jump or walk real fast... no pain
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: OB GYN
1/29/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 years ago
Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, I would be happy to assist. Given your young age, the most likely cause of this condition is either a forgotten tampon, or inflammation in the vagina such as with a yeast or other type of vaginal infection. I recommend you see your doctor for an examination and treatment. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions if necessary. Best wishes.
i don't have periods, so i know that there isn't a tampon up there...
Ok, then the likely cause is vaginal inflammation...unless there is something else like a birth defect which causes you not to have periods or hormones.
i was born with out a uterus, therefore don't have periods. i have no smell, itch or discharge. So i wouldn't think it would be a yeast infection.
Thank you for the additional information. The uterus does support the top of the vagina usually and since yours is absent, it is possible for your vagina to relax and begin to fall which could lead to the sensation of pressure like something is in there. If your discomfort is not significant, treatment is not necessary at this time. However, if it is or does become significant, you can speak with an ob/gyn regarding options of surgery to create support for the vagina or use of a pessary. A pessary is a device that is inserted into the vagina and provides support. It can remain in place and removed monthly for cleaning. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions if necessary. Best wishes.
wait, so my vagina can actually fall out?
It usually won't fall all the way out, where it is hanging outside of your vagina, however, it can fall significantly to where it sits just behind the vaginal opening. Since you don't have the weight of the uterus pressing on it, it likely will not protrude from your vagina.
do i go to my dr and do they run test? do i tell them my symptoms. I'm sorry just sounds weird to me, but makes sense at the same time. is there a name for this? Can i still have intercourse w my husband?

Yes, you can still have intercourse, it will not worsen the condition. The condition is called vaginal prolapse. Your doctor will examine you with a speculum to confirm. This is easily diagnosed by visualization of the relaxed vaginal walls on examination.

Please don't forget to click 'Accept' so that I am credited for my time/advice. You may continue to ask questions if necessary. Best wishes.

Monika Hearne, M.D.
thank you for your help!
You're so welcome. Take care.
Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D.