How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11252
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a healthy 70 year old woman. I take no medication, no

Resolved Question:

I am a healthy 70 year old woman. I take no medication, no prescription drugs of any kind. I have been widowed for 10 years and recently have entered into a loving committed relationship with a man. Much to my surprise I was unable to have intercourse as my vagina seemed to be very tight and the entering of the penis was just too painful. There was no problem in me reaching orgasm by his massaging of my clitoris. I have never had a problem with intercourse in the past, but it has been a long time. What can I do to remedy this situation?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 7 years ago.
You need estrogen, at least in the vaginal area. The vaginal tissues are very responsive to estrogen, and after menopause, when the estrogen levels goes way down, those tissues become thin, inelastic, and fragile. Estrogen can bring them back, used either by mouth or as a vaginal cream. You'll need a prescription for either. The cream is used every night for about 2 weeks, and then as needed. Using estrogen vaginally has none of the possible side effects of taking it by mouth, since the effect is primarily local, and little gets absorbed into the circulation to the rest of the body. Part of the problem is also from non-use, and the vaginal tissues will get more elastic and accomodating with use. I would recommend a good lubricant at least the next few times you have intercourse. It will take a little time, but you can get back the vagina you had in the past. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you