How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 32 and about 9 years ago, my labia minora started

This answer was rated:

I'm 32 and about 9 years ago, my labia minora started growing. At first it was just a little and not noticable. About a year ago the left labia minora started to grow outside the labia majora. The right side is also still increasing in size. This is uncomfortable because it rubs on my underware and I'm afraid they won't stop growing, even if I have something done to them.
Sometimes this happens, but dysplasia, cancer, or an infection should be ruled out by your ob/gyn. There is a procedure called a labioplasty that can be done to correct this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have researched this and most people experience the growth of the labia minora during puberty. I was much older then this happened. Outside of Yeast infections, which seem to causes cysts that can become large, the skin looks the same, just less elastic. I want to know that if I do labiaplasty that they won't still continue to grow where I would need to have it done again. Is there anything less invasive I can do?
Once the labioplasty is performed, it should not grow again. But, you might have a reason as to why this is growing - and besides what I mentioned above, sometimes hormones such as excess estrogen might be allowing this to happen. Most ob/gyn's do not treat with labioplasty, because a reason is usually found - most of the time it is usually an infection.
Dr. Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you