OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Is there an over the counter test for herpes

Customer Question
is there an over the counter test for herpes
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
9/30/2009
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Unfortunately the best test for herpes is a blood test and there are no over the counter tests herpes. The blood test can be ordered by your physician so an exam is not necessary. You should not that it can take form 2 weeks to 3 months for your body to develop the antibodies that are tested for so it is best to wait for 3 months after exposure to repeat the test.

Hope this helps.
what are early symptoms to know if i have herpes?
There may not be any symptoms initially. Some people develops low grade fever. But it may be weeks or months before an outbreak occurs. Outbreaks typically cause pain in the genital or anal area there may be blisters or small tears. Many times these symptoms are so minimal they get overlooked or misdiagnosed.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)