How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 45 years old and missed a period. My last period was 7

Resolved Question:

I am 45 years old and missed a period. My last period was 7 weeks ago and it was not normal. After the first 4 normal days, I had light bloody discharge for 7 more days before it ended. I have not had another period since then. I have taken 3 at-home pregnancy tests and all came back negative. For the last 2 weeks, I have been feeling extremely bloated and full. I cannot eat a normal size meal without feeling stomach upset. Do you think these are related? Could I be pregnant even though the tests are negative? Could this just be start of menopause? I've made an appointment with an ob/gyn but that is not for another 3 weeks because I recently moved and had to find a new doctor.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
This could be a sign of menopause, but the biggest thing you need to do is get an evaluation. For any woman with 'abnormal' bleeding over the age of 35, endometrial/uterine cancer and hyperplasia needs to be ruled out (now this is very unlikely, but it should be ruled out). You should have an endometrial biopsy (a 30 second office procedure), a pelvic exam, a PAP if not up to date, and a pelvic ultrasound. In addition, you should have a few lab tests such as a blood count and a thyroid (TSH) test. And, this can all be done by an ob/gyn. I hope this helps, please take care.
Dr. Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you