DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST
Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
15221770

IS IT NORMAL FOR A 74 YEAR OLD WOMAN TO EXPERIENCE HOT

Customer Question

IS IT NORMAL FOR A 74 YEAR OLD WOMAN TO EXPERIENCE HOT FLASHES DURING SLEEP?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 8 years ago.
Do you have any other symptoms?Were you on hrt before?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have had two bouts with breast cancer. The first 16 years ago; estrogen positive and treated with radiation and tamoxifin for five years. The second episode two years ago HER2 positive and treated with chemo and herceptin for three months and continuation of herceptin for 9 months finishing last Sept. '08. No specific medicine concerning these two episodes at this time. I am taking asthma related inhalers (advair and Q'var and singulair as well as nexium, lipitor and synthroid (very minimal dosage). Also, xylatn and cospot eye drops for borderline glaucoma. That;s it except for calcium and vitamins.
One more question ,is it the first time you experience hot flash after your menopause?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No,,,,I think I have had them on and off but the last few weeks more consistently altho they are and never have been very severe. No perspiration, no wet nightgown etc. Last about 1-2 minutes and can go back to sleep.

Thanks for your reply.Theoretically it is very unlikely to feel hot flash at an age 74 years for first time.But as you are having with this problem frequently on and off ,so at this age you can have it .I am running a post menopausal clinic for last 10 years and attended about 15 patients per day but I never seen a single woman above 70 years to feel hot flash.So I go through so many ref books and website and found it is quite natural to feel hot flash at this age.

Any doubt, please ask. Please pressACCEPT button if the answer satisfies you.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are highly appreciated.
This communication is not a substitute for doctor's visit.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Was not especially pleased with the doctor's response. He only touched on the post menopausal problems and never addressed any other medical issues that could cause "hot flashes".