Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
18724279

I have pain on my right breast, pain is inside on on the

i have pain on my right breast, pain is inside on on the side of the right breast. it somtimes come and go but yesterday it lasted all evening and it woke me up in the middle of the night.
I don 't understand what it is.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 8 years ago.

Dear Valerie,

Thank you for your question. It is a privilege to answer it for you.

Breast pain in women is very common. It is usually due to glands within the breasts being stimulated by hormones in your body or by excessive stimulation from the environment. The good news is it temporary and usually goes away on its own and responds well to Tylenol or Ibuprofen (both available over the counter). The other good news is that breast cancer RARELY presents this way.

My advice would be to try some Tylenol or Ibuprofen and make sure you are wearing a good, well supported bra. If the condition persists over the next few days, or if you have an abnormal discharge from the breast, or a mass/lump in the breast call your doctor for an evaluation.

Here is a link you may find helpful!

http://women.webmd.com/tc/breast-pain-mastalgia-topic-overview

Please remember to press ACCEPT if this is helpful to you so I may get credit for my work. Good Luck to You!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for your reply. the pain i feel (note that I had my periods about 10 days ago) and i am 42 yrs old.), is like a sharp disharge inside the breast. it is different pain than when i am suppose to get my periods. I have this pain more often, but doesnt last long. it come and go. but last night it was almost persistent all night and even in the middle of the night. I am concern in this type of pain that is very different than tendernss or pain before having your period. are you sure i shouldn' worry..

Valerie,

Since the pain is so different than any pain you have had before, and since it kept you awake it was so severe, I think you should call your doctor for an evaluation. Again, rest assured, it is most likely not cancer, but may be an infection or something that may require antibiotics or other treatment options.

I hope this his helpful to you.

Please remeber to press ACCEPT so I may get credit for helping you.

Good Luck!