Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
2652662

I wore a push up bra and oil discharged from my breast -

Customer Question

I wore a push up bra and oil discharged from my breast - enough to fill the bra and ruin my shirt. This was a very large amount. What should I do? I can't get an appointment with my doctor until next Thursday.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 8 years ago.
Oil? What color was it? Was it on both sides? Are you pregnant? Any history of pregnancy? Any recent vision problems (yes vision problems)? How old are you?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
an oily substance. It was clear. It happened earlier on the right side and then yesterday on the left. I am not pregnana t, my only child is 35. No recent vision problems. I am 61.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 8 years ago.
An oily subsance is unusual - however it can be seen - getting an appointment at next week was a wise thing to do, it is unlikely that it is a cancer (hopefully you have been doing your mammograms and they have been normal). Usually for a discharge to be a sign of cancer, the discharge is bloody, not oily. I hope that helps. Please click no ACCEPT as that would be appreciated. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am disappointed with this answer. You haven't told me anything except that it probably isn't cancer.
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.

I am very sorry that you were not satisfied with your previous answer, I hope I can help you further until you are satisfied. Dr. Douglass is offline, so I'll try to help him out.

Dr. Douglass was correct when he told you that an oily substance usually is not a sign of cancer. However, in a woman your age, this still needs to be investigated, because any discharge is considered abnormal.

there are numerous possible causes of a discharge from one breast that is not bloody, and you can follow this link to read a list of the possibilities:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nipple-discharge/MY00467/DSECTION=causes

Fortunately, most of these possibilities are not cancer. However, it certainly does need to be checked out. I would say that since it happened after wearing a push up bra that it could be that you had a breast cyst that was compressed by the bra, and it then released its contents. These are usually benign, but may require drainage or removal.

I hope this was helpful. Please remember to ACCEPT the answer if you are satisfied, so I can get compensated for my work. Bonuses are appreciated if you feel I deserve it. If you have any more questions, Please feel free to ask me, Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE

Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience: I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.