OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

What can cause fluid in endometrial cavity and how is it treated?

Customer Question
An initial pelvic ultrasound detected...
An initial pelvic ultrasound detected "fluid in endometrial cavity" & I am scheduled to return for another one. Please tell me what are all the possible reasons for this, what conditions could be present & how it would be treated
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/6/2009
OB GYN Doctor: Doctor Natasha, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Doctor Natasha
Hi
How old are you? Any other medical problems?
Was this for pregancy or other evaluation?
Medications?
40 yo, no pregnancy ,no other medical problems. the symptoms leading up to this test were- pain on rt side, lower back, spotting between periods 2 times.
please let me know if this could be something serious.
Hi
Fluid in the endometrial cavity is REALLY a nonspecific finding.. They were scanning you to make sure that there was no mass or any other lesion in the endometrial lining, which it sounds like there wasn't. The only time I have seen fluid be of any concern was in the setting of infection after childbirth- but there were other findings- the endometrial lining was inflammed. A woman will have fluid at times in her endometrial cavity depending on where she is in her cycle as well- like right before she has a period as the endometrial lining breaks down. Seeing that you are still getting your periods, I wouldn't be too concerned. This is completely normal in a woman of reproductive age. I imagine that they want to repeat it when you are elsewhere in your cycle to see if it resolves, as it should as the cycle changes. If not, they may want to do a diagnostic D&C. A common reason for a little fluid inside the endometrial cavity is because of stenosis of the cervix. There is constant production of fluid and mucous in the female tract. If there is not an outlet to release the fluid, as in stenosis of the cervix, you will see a collection in the uterus. If you had fluid in your cavity and you were postmenopausal, you would need an endometrial biopsy to make sure that the cause wasn't cancer.

best wishes

Press the green accept button if this was helpful.
Doctor Natasha
what is the treatment for stenosis of cervix? what else would they be looking for if a diagnostic D & C is done?
thanks!
When the do the diagnostic D&C they are scraping the endometrial lining looking for any abnormal cells. Surgery can be done to open up a stenotic cervix. But I would just hang in there and see what the second ultrasound shows....

best wishes..
Doctor Natasha
Doctor Natasha
Doctor Natasha
Doctor Natasha, Doctor