Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

How will i know if i have an infection or std in my mouth

how will i know if i have an infection or std in my mouth
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 8 years ago.
Customer

How old are you?

Are you on any birth control pills or other contraceptive?

When did you have unprotected sex?

What symptoms do you have in your mouth?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am 22 years old.

I'm not on any birth control or contraceptive because i only have a menstrual maybe about twice a year.

I had unprotected sex about a week and a half ago

And on the right side of my mouth (inside) above my teeth, more like on my jaw part I guess It hurts really bad. I can't see anything because it is to far in the back

keasha,

The commonest STD which can occur in the mouth is a herpes infection. In this infection, the main symptoms are blisters which appear on the lips on the gums - these blisters acan be easily seen.

Other STDs like gonorrhea etc which can also occur in the mouth also cause formation of ulcers or sores in the mouth , usually in the inner cheesks, lips or gums.

Since you only have a pain deep inside the mouth and have no blisters or sores, it is likely that what you have is an infection which is not an STD.

The infection could be due at the tonsils or pharynx - the deeper part of the throat.

Please take the following steps at home and see if they help:

- Take Ibuprofen, 200mg thrice daily after food.

- Gargle with warm saline water twice daily.

- Rinse your mouth with Chlorhexidene mouth wash (available OTC).

If the pain persists after another 3 days, please consult your doctor. You will need a throat swab for a culture and sensitvity test.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
now that i looked more closey it is a little while thing in my inner cheek at the top in the back. I am sick and had a sore throat and a cold.
keasha,

If you do have a whitish sore in the cheeks, you need to get tests to check that this is not due to an STD.

Although mouth ulcers can occur due to respiratory tract infection, a checkup to rule out STDs will be best.

Even if this is not an STD, you will need to get antibiotics for the sore throat. Please consult a doctor for an examination.

I hope this helps.