How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saul Your Own Question
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 2145
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Saul is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 51 years old and still have my periods. The last month

This answer was rated:

I am 51 years old and still have my periods. The last month the bleeding did not stop, heavy clots, but (my periods were always like this from the beginning at age 12, at 15 I was put on BC pills and I took the pill for many years and things were ok) In the past few years I am off the pill, now I have very bad periods again. I feel like I'm having one long continuous period cramps, low back pain, irritability. I saw MD. She gave me hormones to stop the bleeding. The bleeding did stop for a while. Then I had a sonogram that revealed multiple small fibroids, a small cyst on my right ovary and some increase in endometrial lining. Now she wants to do the Novaure procedure on me. The bleeding has returned. I'm just worried the NovaSure will not solve my problem. What could be causing the continuous bleeding? She told me my options were a IUD :(, BC pills, NovaSure or I guess a possible hysterectomy. I don't really want to have surgery. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.


It sounds to me like you have been getting very reasonable treatment from your doctor. At your age, your problem is not rare, and the options for treatment are exactly what your doctor offered you. Pill, (either birth control pills or plain progesterone) an ablation like the novasure, or a hysterectomy. Novasure is a great minimally invasive way to handle this problem, and the majority of women with this problem get great relief with the novasure (and with other methods of ablation). The only catch in your case is that you have fibroids. The fibroids may cause bleeding even after the novasure, in which case your best option would be a hysterectomy. You can also discuss with her the possibility of getting a uterine artery embolization, but it is debatable whether this is any better than surgery.


I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so i can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. i am truly privileged to help you, and i want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer. Good luck! Dr. SaulJE

Dr. Saul and 2 other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you