OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I've missed my period two months in a row. I took a

Customer Question
pregnancy test which came out...
I've missed my period two months in a row. I took a pregnancy test which came out negative. What could it be
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
4/20/2009
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. RK, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor

Dear Keill,

greetings and thankyou for using justanswer!

when did you have the last menstrual period?

Do you have normal menstrual cycle in length and duration?

Did you take the urine home pregnancy test, if yes then when?

did you have any investigation or consulted a doctor yet?

Do you take any drugs or pills?

February 19 Yes, I have always had regular periods. I took a urine home pregnancy test last week (Thursday). I have not consulted a doctor yet. I figured it was because I'm under alot of stress. I take prescriptions regularly, but have been for years. I have not changed. I am not on birth control

dear Keill,

thankyou for the enquiry,

what prescription are you taking for years?

what drugs are you taking and in what doses?

Omeprazole 20 mg once a day

IC Triam/HCTZ 37.5/25 Tab MYL once a day (for water retention)

Naproxen 500 mg once a day

Dear keill,

thankyou for the information!

There are a lot of causes of such delayed and absent period apart from the common cause of pregnancy.The other common causes of such absent period are stress, anxiety, emotions, hormonal imbalace, thyroid abnormality, PID, PCOS,drugs, pills, etc.

Though the urine home pregnancy can be negative in early cases of pregnancy and in that case you should repeat the test after a week.The blood HCG test and uterine sonography are more confirmatory test for diagnosing pregnanc.

You should get the pap smear, uterine sonography, thyroid profile, hormonal profile etc. done torule out the other causes as well after consulting your gynaecologist.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Could it be the start of menapause. My mom was pretty young when she started. I'm 45

Dear Keill,

The menopause can be a cause but you should rule out the other causes as well.

though the average age of menopause is around 50 years-55 years in US women.

You see if your period restarts and get these investigations done.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you!

Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Thank you
Dr.  RK
Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor