Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
13332852

Im supposed to be on my period, but I am spotting and have

Customer Question

I'm supposed to be on my period, but I am spotting and have very little cramping, this is not normal for me i have endometriosis and normally have severe cramps and heavy bleeding. my friend said i might be pregnant. is this possible
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 8 years ago.
What color is the spotting? Is it smelly at all- fishy or like yeast?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
brownish, not smelly
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 8 years ago.
Brown discharge is old blood and is normal unless it becomes smelly or lasts for 10 or more days straight. If you are sexually active pregnancy could be the cause of a missed period. In this case you will need to wait until your period is at least two weeks late, then see your doctor to have blood drawn for a blood pregnancy test as this is most accurate. Other causes could be stress, weight changes, infection, polyps, cysts, hormonal and thyroid imbalance, just to name a few. If the blood pregnancy test determines that you are not pregnant, your doctor will need to do additional testing to determine the cause.