OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

How would i know if I have a hernia or muscle strain? I did

how would i know if...
how would i know if I have a hernia or muscle strain? I did some pretty silly sit ups in a class (lying full flat on the floor with arms above my head then straight up to touch my knees in the air! Pain is in abdominal area - closer to my hip than my belly button - feels reasonably deep but not towards the back. Had eased at the end of last week, but I think I lifted something on Sunday which has triggered it off again. Have VERY high pain threshold and am always misdiagnosed because I don't make a fuss.
3/4/2009
Doctor Natasha

Do you have any kind of lump or bulge?

No. Nothing visible at all. Aware that I've been a bit bloated for a few days, but nothing in particular.

Was on the phone to an osteopath/sports massage teacher to offer myself as a guinea pig for his training this weekend, thinking it was just muscle strain, but he mentioned the possibility of a hernia.

I've had lots of abdom. surgery (4 month ectopic) followed by another, but several years ago. The pain is like nothing I've had before. It's been a sharper pain today and I noticed it while putting pressure (walking) through my left leg (pain is on left side). Also started almost throbbing a bit while doing nothing at all

Could you be pregnant now?
been told it's not possible! No tube on the right and a VERY blocked one on the left - had surgery to try and open the left but it wasn't possible - it's blocked right at the bottom. I usually get VERY clear signs from my body when I'm pregnant and not had any.
Customer

It is possible that this is a muscle strain. However, your high pain threshold and the history of onset (while doing situps) makes me concerned about other, more dangerous causes. It could be a hernia. You may or may not have a visible bulge (usually seen when trying to strain). If the area is continuously painful, it is possible that some bowel got trapped in the area (or even mesenteric fat) which can cause pain. Other causes could be ruptured ovarian cyst, mittleschmerz (pain during ovulation) and more importantly, ovarian torsion. Ovarian torsion, when the ovary twists on itself, can occur after doing sit ups (classic board question for emergency medicine). Usually ovarian torsion causes marked unlateral pain accompanied by nausea and/or vomiting, but if the ovary is twisting and untwisting the symptoms may be delayed.

Of course, you could still be pregnant with another ectopic (never say never- unless you have had a hysterectomy)

I think that you need to seek urgent medical care- especially if the symptoms are getting worse. If you develop fevers and or/vomiting, I would go to the emergency department right away.

Good luck

Thanks. I don't think it's my ovaries, as I feel it when I ovulate, etc., and am sure I'd pick up on pain there - had cysts (during cycle) on them before, so think I'd recognise the pain.

However the fact that the pain is sharper is definitely a sign that somethings not quite right. I will go and get my gp to check.

Was really hoping to find out how I'd know if it was a hernia. Are there any signs other than (sometimes) a bulg/lump? Types of pain?

It depends. If the hernia spontanously reduces, the pain will go usually away. But if bowel and/or mesenteric fat become trapped, the pain will be continuous, particularly if the bowel begins to die becuase the blood flow is compromised. Then you will be very ill. This kind of pain tends to be dull. Pain from hernias can occur from other reasons- irritation of the nerves around the area can cause more of a sharp pain. As well, distortion of the tissue around the gap in the abdominal wall (which is causing the hernia in the first place) can cause pain. I have also seen patients complain of a burning and even stinging type of pain.

Please let me know what happens. Good luck!

Doctor Natasha
Thank you!
Please let me know what happens.... Wishing you the best.
Hi, I did try to respond yesterday but don't think it worked. Went to the doctor and confirmed that it is a muscle rather than a hernia. Have offered myself as a guinea pig to an osteopath who's teaching sports massage at the weekend so hopefully they'll give me a few tips on what might help. Was a bit confused with this system. Thought the money I had to commit to was coming to you but realise now it didn't. Not quite sure how it works. Thanks again.

I received it. Thank you very much. Since your doctor thinks it is a muscle strain, you can take motrin for pain (or another anti-inflammatory of your liking) and warm and cool compresses to the area.

Good luck!

Doctor Natasha
Doctor Natasha
Doctor Natasha
Doctor Natasha, Doctor