OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My period has been lasting for 10 days now. it's very light

Customer Question
my period has been lasting...
my period has been lasting for 10 days now. it's very light and there's no pain whatsoever. i'm 35 years old, and have never had anything like that. my period is usually very regular. also, no history of any gynecological issues. what could it be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/25/2009
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Any bleeding that lasts for 10 or more days straight needs to be seen by a doctor. If it becomes heavy and you are changing a pad or more in an hour or less, you need to go to the ER immediately as this is excessive. This can be due to many things including stress, weight changes, infection, polyps, cysts, hormonal or thyroid imbalance, just to name a few. I would make an appointment with your doctor to have blood drawn to determine if this is due to a hormonal imbalance, and possibly a pelvic exam to determine if this is due to a physical abnormality.
Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr Patty
Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)