How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 9032
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having extreme pain just outside my vagina where the

Resolved Question:

I am having extreme pain just outside my vagina where the top of my leg meets the vaginal area. The pain occurs mainly when I walk. It started about 4 weeks and was mild but has gotten progessively worse and this last week has been extremely painful. Walking is very difficult. Can you please tell me what this pain is. I thought it may be Bartholin cyst however there seems to be no lump and is outside the vagina. Can you help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 8 years ago.

How old are you?

Do you get regular periods? When did you get your last periods?

Can you feel the area and tell me where the pain is maximum? if you were asked to point with one finger , where would you point - betweent eh vagina and the leg? Inside the vagina? In the upper part of te leg? Does it pain when you sit down?

What medicines, if any, are you on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am 67 years old. Pain is between vagina an very top of leg extending toward the rectum area. I have chronic back pain and have had 5 operations on my spine and suffer every day from pain. Meds include Methadone, celebrex, cymbalta, synthroid, omeprazole, lipitor, calcuim and vit. E. This pain is different from my back pain.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 8 years ago.
There are a number of conditions you could be suffering from:

1. Ischial Crest Syndrome - This is a condition in which the iliac ligament is inflamed or sprained leading to a deep referral pain to the grin in and around the vagina. The pain increases on walking.

2. You could have a condition known as ischial bursitis.This is a condition in which there is inflammation of the bursa (a small sac containing fluid) around the ischial joint. To know more about ischial bursitis, please see:

3. Proctalgia Fugax - This is a condition in which there may be deep pain around the rectum with referred pain to the vaginal area due to no known cause.

4. Injury to the ischifemoral ligament.

Please consult an orthopedist. Since you had back surgeries earlier, it is very likely that you have an Iliac Crest Syndrome.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 8 years ago.

Another cause of the pain near your vagina could be an adductor muscle sprain. The adductor muscle is a small muscle which holds the leg to the pelvis . Stretching of teh leg while walking or in other activities can stretch the mucle and cause pain.

You can read more about this condition here:

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you