Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  Experienced in maternity and women's health
9324755

Why are my nipples dry and itchy?

This started almost a week ago now and it's driving me crazy! At first they were just itchy and I almost thought I had hives. But no. I tried Benadryl (cream and pill) didn't help. I thought about it maybe being a skin allergy, but I haven't changed my laundry soap in years. Now they're a little less itchy, but they are really sore and it looks like I'm cold all the time. I just don't know what's going on. This is probably a silly thing to ask about, but if you know anything I'd appriciate some help. Thanks

Any other symptom like pain, redness or discharge? Are both affected or one, any change in skin there? Any past illness? Any test?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes, they are painful. It is both of my nipples and they are really dry too despite the fact that I have been putting cocoa butter on them four times a day since this started. They are kinda red, I can't tell if they are darkening in colour or just red and irritated. No discharge. No past illness with them at least. Although about 7 years ago I had a breast reduction. Test? Not sure what you mean. I haven't had any tests recently and nothing about this problem.

Thank you for the input.

Itching in the nipple with pain is probably due to dermatitis,or fungal infection. Sometimes bacterial infection can also present with pain & itching . You should consult a dermatologist or breast specialist for an examination . Antifungal or antibiotic can be needed. Sometimes benadryl does not work . Prescription grade antihistamines may be useful.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I wanted to know if this could be a symptom of pregnancy?
Soreness of the nipple can be due to pregnancy. But itching is not characteristic of pregnancy. In pregnancy it becomes swollen too.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My husband says they are slightly swollen. We were wondering if since I have had a breast reduction (if this was due to pregnancy) if the changes would be irritating those areas since I never really healed right. Also if you do think it is an infection how would I have gotten something like that? Sorry for all the questions.

Have you missed your period?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No not yet, I have a few days still. But we have been trying. I didn't want to go to the doctor if I was pregnant and have it not show up on a test yet. I thought I'd wait it out, but if I am not and this is something else I wanted to know so I could get it taken care of.

In case of swelling & pain in both it can be due to pregnancy. Infection can occur if skin debris clogging the pores or ducts & bacteria or fungus reach there.. However , if your husband says they appear swollen , they can well be due to pregnancy. You can wait till the due date & take a pregnancy test.