OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

What is tric and how do you get it?

what is tric and how do you get it?
2/15/2009
Doc Sue
Doc Sue, Doctor
Good Evening Felicia,

Trich is short for Trichomoniasis which is a sexually transmitted disease. Probably the most informative site for information is the CDC I've attached a link for you.

http://www.cdc.gov/STD/Trichomonas/STDFact-Trichomoniasis.htm
can you get it any other way such as having a urine trac infection for to long or eating to much of the same kind of meat.
no Felicia, I'm sorry, it's probably the hardest thing we do in having to tell patients and couples they have an STD, but Trich is truly an STD
thanks so much for your reply.I had this in my 8th month of pregnancy and i couldn't breast feed the 1st 24 hours after i had my daughter. She's 2yrs old now and my partner still say he didn't give it to me and i caught it some other way such as the type of panties i wear ect... Also how do you know when you have it?
Most women notice a greenish grayish frothy or foamy type discharge, it's hard at the end of pregnancy, because you already have more discharge, but, if you suspect you may have it again, can you go see a doctor or go to your local health dept?
Doc Sue
Doc Sue, Doctor

Yes and thanks once again you have been so helpful

glad to help Felicia, and, again, I'm sorry.
Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Actually, it can be transmitted in a non-sexual way. This isn't as common, but it is quite possible. Trichomoniasis is mostly sexually transmitted by penis to vagina intercourse or vulva to vulva contact with an infected partner but not through oral sex. Though not as common, it can be transmitted non-sexually from objects such as sheets, towels, and clothing. This isn't as common, but it is very possible and these are the only ways that it is transmitted. There is further information at this site
http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/sexual_health/sti/trich.htm
Doc Sue
Doc Sue
Doc Sue, Doctor