OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have never been sexually active with anyone, but i've

Customer Question
masturbated often (with a pillow...
I have never been sexually active with anyone, but i've masturbated often (with a pillow and with underwear still on), but i would consider it masturbating because there is penetration. Im concerned, ive been irritated in my genital area for a week now and im not sure if its due to this. also, i have never had any kind of womens check up.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/2/2009
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Do you have any other symptoms? Do you have a discharge at all- if so what color is it and does it seem smelly at all? Fishy or like yeast?
sometimes, but its usually clear liquid or white colored it has a faint fishy smell.
If you have a fishy odor, this could indicate that you have an infection called bacterial vaginosis. This occurs when there is an overgrowth of bacteria that normally inhabit the body. Antibiotics are needed to cure this type of infection. If you aren't already, you should be wearing cotton underwear. When you go to the bathroom you need to make sure you wipe from front to back, and avoid douching, and feminine sprays, talcs, and the like. When you wash, make sure you use a mild soap like Ivory. This site has further information

http://www.cdc.gov/std/BV/STDFact-Bacterial-Vaginosis.htm

You will need to make an appointment with a doctor to have a swab test done, to determine if indeed you are infected. If you currently don't have a doctor, then what you can do is go to your local Planned Parenthood clinic. The irritation could be due to infection, or masturbation so this needs to be evaluated.

Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr Patty, does this mean i am sexually active? excuse my ignorance
What do you mean?
Due to the fact that i have never had sex with anyone I would assume that I am not sexually active, but because I masturbate and there is sometimes discharge I want to make sure. I ask this in case I am asked at the doctors visit.
Sexually active means with another partner, not masturbation. If you do have BV, this is not a sexually transmitted infection.
Dr Patty
Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)