OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

What is the cause of musty odor in the vaginal area if you

Customer Question
donot have an infection?     This...
what is the cause of musty odor in the vaginal area if you donot have an infection?     This odor comes when I begin to sweat.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: OB GYN
1/17/2009
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 9 years ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
stdavis,

Yes, the musty odor is usually due to a change in the ph of the vagina - it occurs when the ph becomes more acidic than normal.

Although you have already taken metronidazole (which is prescribed for BV), I suspect that you still have an mild overgrowth on the organism Gardnerella in your vagina. Gardnerella causes breakdown of sugars in the vagina into lactic acid which changes the ph.

You can pevent this by eating at least 200gms of yogurt daily or by taking acidophillus tablets, available OTC. Yogurt is better.

You can also use Boric acid tablets. The standard dose of Boric acid tablets for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis (BV) is 600mg inserted daily into the vagina for at least 14 days.

Besides this , please tke the following steps to control the infection:

- You must eat at least 200 gms of yogurt daily to help the growth of healthy lactobacillus in the vagina.

- Do not wear synthetic underwear.

- Do not wear tight pants or pantyhoses.

- Do not douche your vagina.

- Wear loose cotton clothes to help any sweat in the genital regions to evaporate.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

I missed one other medication that the doctor gave me. It is Terazol 3, suppositotries. If I am lactose intolerate, is there something else I can use? What is

OTC?

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor